County (pre 1975): Dunbartonshire; Region/District (1975-1996): Strathclyde/Clydebank; Unitary Authority: West Dunbartonshire
At the start of the 1870s, J & G Thomson were forced to find another site for their shipyard at Govan, they looked at various sites further down the River Clyde, and eventually purchased some suitably flat land on the on the north bank of the river, opposite the point where the River Cart flows into the River Clyde. Construction of the new shipyard started on 1 May 1871.
Between 1882 and 1884, the Singer Manufacturing Company built a massive sewing machine factory in Kilbowie, less than half a mile north of the shipyard.
In the 1930s, the yard, now known as John Brown constructed the famous Cunard liners Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth. The yard also constructed the liner Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) in the 1960s.
On 13 and 14 March 1941, Luftwaffe bombers attacked various targets in and around Clydebank. In what became known as the Clydebank Blitz, the town itself was seriously damaged as were the local shipyards and armaments factories such as the Dalnottar oil depot and the Singer factory. Over the two days, 528 civilians were killed and over 617 people were seriously injured.
Today Clydebank, is now a centre for shopping and the Titan Crane, which was part of John Brown’s shipyard.