County (pre 1975): Renfrewshire; Region/District (1975-1996): Strathclyde/Renfrew; Unitary Authority: Renfrewshire
Erskine is a town in Renfrewshire, lying on the southern bank of the River Clyde, providing the lowest crossing to the north bank of the river at Erskine Bridge connecting the town to Old Kilpatrick in West Dunbartonshire.
Originally a small village settlement, the town has expanded since the 1970s, boosting the population to over 15,000.
Archaeological evidence states that agricultural activity took place within the area as far back as 3000 BC and that it has been inhabited by humans since 1000 BC. The name "Erskine" derives from the Scottish Gaelic phrase Ard Sescenn, meaning "High Marsh". The area was first identified as "Erskin" in 1225. The land around the town was first part of the estate of Henry de Erskine in the 13th century. Sir John Hamilton of Orbiston held the estate in the 17th century until 1703 when it was acquired by the Lords Blantyre.
In the late 18th century, the town of Erskine was a hamlet. During this time, stone quays were constructed to support a ferry service to Old Kilpatrick and Dunbartonshire. This replaced the river ford which had been in place since medieval times. In light of increased industry and infrastructure in the surrounding area, it gradually became a village in the following century.
The town is also home to the Erskine Hospital, a facility providing long-term care for veterans of the British Armed Forces. The hospital opened in 1916 and, in 2000, moved to two new purpose built sites within the town.
Accommodation in Erskine
Hotels Erskine : Self Catering Erskine : Bed & Breakfast Erskine